UPCOMING SCHEDULED LOTTE MEYERSON TIKKUN OLAM PROJECTS:
- 1st Friday each month from 1-3 PM @ MANNA– CBHT volunteer team. Contact Sandra Layton to help.
- 3rd Friday each month @ noon – CBHT Vets shelter meal serving. Contact Hilary Paradise to help.
CBHT Rosh Hashanah Children’s Book Collection
Please bring your new or lightly used children’s books to CBHT. Most of these books are given to 3-5-year olds to help them start a home collection of appropriate books to be read to them. Currently most of these children are at the Head Start classrooms at Pisgah View Apartments in West Asheville. The book collection runs through the High Holy Days. You say you don’t have any books to donate? Then make a cash donation to the Tikkun Olam Committee and designate the gift to be used to purchase children’s books.
If you really want to get involved, how about being one of our congregation’s weekly volunteers at Head Start? With only two more willing adults we will have weekly volunteers in all three classes at Pisgah View two days a week! If interested in volunteering or have questions regarding the book collection contact Marty Mann at 828.216.0381. Let’s continue putting good books in the hands of the children who need them the most.
Another Room in the Inn Hosting under our belt!
Kudos to everyone who helped with our recent host week for the Room in the Inn women. Along with our interfaith partners St. Mary’s Episcopal and St. Marks Lutheran Churches, the Ethical Humanist Society of Asheville, and Cong. Beth Israel, we fed and sheltered up to 12 homeless women from July 12 – July 21 in our lovely downstairs area. Special thanks to our Sisterhood for assuming the responsibility of providing a delicious dinner (they loved the kugel!) and overnight volunteers for one of the nights and to Marty Stickle and Rubin Feldstein for driving the St. Mary’s van to pick up and return the women to the A-Hope Day Center on our assigned day. CBHT members were on site each night during the week to oversee the volunteers and our facility. Appreciation to Barbara and Marty Stickle, to Sam and Pam Hausfather and to Ted Zoller for their time. And of course, the support of the temple staff always makes the logistics run smoothly – Craig, Buffy, Rabbi Meiri, the cleaning crew, and our consummate technical whiz temple member Bob Davis.
Our congregation, through the Lotte Meyerson Tikkun Olam Committee, has been a partner in the RITI program for over 10 years and the need of our support remains. Our twice- yearly hosting is an important part of the women’s lives as they transition to permanent housing. A very large percentage of these women have gone on to have their own place which in turn, has given them a whole new start in life.
We will soon get our assigned host weeks for 2020 and welcome any congregant who would like to get more involved with our participation in this program or find out more information.
“You must love the immigrant,
because you were immigrants.”
This year on August 11th, CBHT observed Tisha B’Av along with Congregation Beth Israel and Carolina Jews for Justice. Tisha B’Av is a traditional Jewish day of mourning, when Jews around the world remember some of the greatest tragedies of our history. Tisha B’Av also presents us with the opportunity to reflect on contemporary atrocities, and this year we were particularly compelled to reflect on the violent and dehumanizing treatment of immigrants and refugees in the U.S. – a modern day catastrophe that demands our attention, our voice, and our action. Please join the LMTO in any actions you can do:
- Subscribe to CJJ’s email list to stay informed at carolinajewsforjustice.org;
- Subscribe to the e-mail list of CIMA (Compañeros Inmigrantes de las Montañas en Acción) at cimawnc.org to stay informed about what’s going on and what they need (and if you’re able, donate money!);
- Call your representative and demand that they work to defund ICE and CBP, and #ClosetheCamps;
- Here are some other organizations to consider for donations or other involvement:
- HIAS: www.hias.org (the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society and so much more)
- Bend the Arc: www.bendthearc.us/donate (Jewish progressive movement)
- Pisgah Legal Services: Either www.pisgahlegal.org or by calling (828) 253-0406
- Kids In Need Of Defense (KIND) supportkind.org
- Detention Watch Network: www.detentionwatchnetwork.org
- Save the Children: www.savethechildren.org/us/what-we-do/emergency-response/us-border-crisis (founded in 1919, it offers direct aid to migrant families and children at the U.S.-Mexico border)