Our thanks go to all the LMTO Committee members who attended meetings and participated in our activities during the year. We are a great group dedicated to “repairing the world!” We welcome new members to our committee. Please join us!
Activities/Initiatives over the year:
- RAC Voter Engagement Initiative at CBHT informed and activated our congregation towards 100% voter engagement at CBHT. Our team encouraged all participants to pledge to vote and called every congregant who did not appear in the local voter rolls, encouraging them to register and vote.
- Room In The Inn (RITI) supported three weeks over the year where we helped host 8-12 homeless women in congregations (ours and others) including travel, bedding, meals, and creating a welcoming atmosphere.
- Monthly MANNA helpers helped pack food once a month at MANNA. We had 6-10 congregants help each month!
- Annual High Holiday MANNA Food Collection was another successful year with financial donations exceeding food collection for the first time, going much further in providing meals for the hungry.
- Head Start Tutors and Books allowed several congregants to help weekly at Pisgah View Head Start and give out books to these needy children twice during the year.
- Sanctuary & Immigration: Our LMTO committee members Jackie Itzkovitz and Ellen Fisher did a fantastic job coordinating around-the-clock volunteers for an immigrant needing sanctuary at the UU congregation in town. We also provided assistance in other ways that we could, and were happy to find she was able to leave sanctuary.
- Monthly Meals at Vets Quarters continued with congregant assistance.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Shabbat and Exchange was a great success with Pastor Edwards and the St. James Choir celebrating the Shabbat with CBHT, and many of us visiting St. James AME Church for their Sunday service, along with our choir and the Rabbi.
- Interfaith Initiative for Social Justice “Dismantling Racism” work has focused on creating educational programs and a plan of action for the 20+ faith communities involved. Expect to hear more soon!
- Annual LMTO Souper Bowl was another rousing success, with more than $2000 raised for our work and a great time had by the 15 soup makers, auctioneers, and all attending.
- LMTO Shabbat again honored b’nai mitzvah students for their mitzvah projects, and presented a lifetime Tikkun Olam award to Sherrill Zoller.
- Advocacy efforts continued through Menorah articles, Tikkun Olam Alerts, and work with the Carolina Jews for Justice.
- Donations were given this year to supply books for Head Start, to Defiant Requiem, the NC Holocaust Education Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, the Religious School Tzedakah fair, CIMA for immigrant support, Veterans monthly meal expenses, and Room In The Inn.